Tuesday, December 11, 2007

While I'm Here


Recently I've taken the whole engineer-as-artist thing a little seriously, so I've started reading industrial design, typography, modern art and web design blogs. I think it's made me broaden my horizons a little to get a fresh perspective on "design", and what it means to create. I'll post the coolest ones once I've had time to live with them.



This leads to my random reason for coming back to post, which is a font I made. It's a bitmapped, 10-point font that you can "design" yourself and auto-generate to .ttf online here. Mine is called "NewGothic", and was based on a typeface called "from Gothic" in Samuel Welo's 1935 edition Studio Handbook: Letter and Design for Artists and Advertisers. It's actually a really cool book that I picked up before I got on this design trip, since it was this neat 1935-printed book for $5 or something. I loved the pages and binding, and the concept of hand-lettering and drawing posters seemed quite foreign to me! Glad I picked it up in any case.

No comments: