Saturday, June 14, 2008

Do I need an intervention?

As I previously mentioned, Monday was WWDC keynote day, and I worked all day in a place with no internet. How to keep up with the most important news EVER?



Well, I own a prepaid brick of a cellphone with no internet, so no-go there. But wait, I have unlimited free incoming SMS messages? Hmmmm.



My carrier (like most) has a special email address based on my phone number, which truncates emails to 160 characters and forwards them to my phone as an SMS message. Imagine an automator script that takes the unread rss articles from Mail.app and copies each to a new mail message which is sent to the SMS bridge address? 160 characters is sure limiting, but the headlines all come through at least. Then you just use launchd to have this script send the new articles every 30 mins, and you have "push rss" for free. Albeit kinda clunky and annoying that you only get to read the headlines.



Just a little bit of work to get my Apple news?

No comments: