Monday, August 13, 2007

Actual Programming!


Ok, so It's been just over a week since I began this blog. What have I accomplished? Well, I've gotten over a cold, learned that peaches and cinnamon were made exclusively for inclusion in chicken pot pies, and finally broke out my copy of Aaron Hillegass' Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X to continue learning the beauty that is Cocoa.



I've had quite a long sabbatical from this standard Cocoa beginner's tool, but I'm finally making my way through Chapter 7 and figuring out the Undo Manager. Woohoo! Now that I'm back on the train, I'll start fleshing out my current projects. One is going to be a dead simple, elegant and FREE money manager. Nothing to replace the more advanced programs out there, but enough to quit using a friggin spreadsheet! This project was born out of my frustration of, well, using a spreadsheet. The second project is a bit neater, and uses a slightly more diverse set of tools to get its job done.



It's a text-to-speech converter, mainly for converting ebooks into audiobooks that I can listen to on my iPod. The beauty is its integration with iTunes, using a bit of AppleScript to automatically tag the files and convert them into a low bitrate. My next step is to rework the splitting algorithm, which was initially "borrowed" from Matthew Russell's DIY iPod eDoc Reader Tutorial posted on the O'Reilly Mac DevCenter site. Finally, I hope to unravel iTunes' inner workings to add these files to the Audiobooks section of the iTunes library. Someday, I may even extend this program to read RSS feeds and sync new ones to an iPod as a podcast.



That's all for today, cheers.

No comments: